01 July 2011

A pack a day

Flying over Santiago, as I said in an earlier post - I thought I was seeing a beautiful fog over the city, but actually it was smog.
Walking around in town, you don't see it from the ground level, but oh you feel it...... I sneezed frequently and my eyes were irritated at times.
When I watched the sunset from above, I could see it settling over the city. The night sky lit up in beautiful colors - pollutants do that to a sunset/sunrise!






During the tour our tour guide talked about the smog. He told us that breathing the air in Santiago is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.
Then he told us the following (joke?):
Why do so many Santiagans smoke?
Because they need the cigarette filter to filter out the pollutants in the air!

But after it rains, the air is crisp and the sky is clear - these days provide a short relief and allow the blue skies above to be seen....
Santiago is lovely - smog or no!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Santiago, Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment